Monday, June 11, 2012

That Awkward Moment When...

You answer the phone at work and the rather annoying guy who says your name 18 times in a 2 minute conversation (just in case you forgot who he was talking to) says "Hey Lauren, you almost went a full day without me calling and buggin you!"

WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU SAY TO THAT?

"uh.... yup?"
"hrmm... you caught me?"
*awkward laughter*
"please never call here again"

I opted for the awkward laughter... because I honestly didn't know what else would be a remotely appropriate response. 

He then proceeded to personally address each following sentence to me. "So Lauren, is so and so in? Okay Lauren, well when will he be back? Now, Lauren, will you take a message? Never mind, Lauren, I'll call back later"

Please, please, for the sake of receptionists everywhere, don't remind someone of their name 18 times in a 2 minute conversation. It isn't necessary. It isn't nice. It makes receptionists want to pull their hair out. It's actually really condescending. And while you're at it, for the sake of everybody anywhere, don't ever make a comment along the lines of "too bad I'm here bugging you again" because it just puts everyone in an awkward position and makes them dread your calls even more.

Don't make people dread your calls.

Sister, I don't have to be a Nanny-Receptionist do I? I don't know if I'm cut out for it anymore.

4 comments:

  1. No, no, I prefer to not answer my own phone calls. Or have TJ answer them when i don't recognize the number.

    And the correct answer to his statement is: "Oh, darn! I had just been sitting here counting the minutes. Thought we might have a record." You say it jovially enough that he's just not sure if you're serious or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And I always loved this:
    "Thank you for calling the Knightdale HD, my name is Aubrey how may I help you?"

    "Hi, is this the Knightdale store?"

    "No... no it's not. Please shop somewhere else."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get this. A fave:

    Me: "Thanks for calling PC, this is Elizabeth, how may I help you?"
    Caller: "Is this PC?"
    Me: "Yes ma'am! How may I help you?"
    Caller: "What did you say your name was?"
    Me: "Elizabeth. How may I help you?"
    Caller: "Oh, hi Alyssa. Well I was wondering if you could help me..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahahahaha! Elizabeth, I love it. There was a lady I worked with via email and my signature has my name in it, spelled correctly, and she would ALWAYS write me back and spell my name wrong! I was like "how is this possible!?" After about a month, she finally noticed and corrected herself.

    Aubrey, when I worked at the old evil store, we would have patients call ALL THE TIME and say "someone called me from this number"

    "Do you know what the call was regarding?"

    "No, I didn't listen to my voicemail."

    "Well, ma'am, I would suggest listening to your voicemail so I know better how to direct your call"

    "Well can't you just tell me why you called me?"

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete