Monday, June 4, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like pizza... Everywhere we go...

Well tonight marks the end of Jason's and my week without starch!!! We made it successfully with neither of us fainting and falling to the floor from lack of pasta.  We have, however, talked a LOT about pizza and bread and things we wish we could eat. There were times we were tempted, there were times we were tried, but we stuck to our guns and came out victors in the end!!!

We tried a bunch of new recipes this week and some definitely will become staples while others ended up a little... well... meh. In case you are interested, our two favorites were Sweet and Spicy Salmon and Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew.  They were DELICIOUS and made us want to eat 18 pounds of it.

We had a lot of green beans, squash, zucchini, and sweet potato fries this week, too, because one of our goals was to eat more veggies. One of us did moreso than the other. (I'll let you guess who ate more veggies. Hint: me)

We even had a date night on Friday and went out to eat at Panera while successfully adhering to our dietary rules! It was really nice because we both tried something new, which we NEVER do at Panera.  I got the Fuji apple and turkey salad with broccoli-cheese soup and Jason got the BBQ chopped salad with broccoli-cheese soup (the ONLY way he will eat broccoli ever. And he still gives me his large broccoli chunks).  They were really delicious! They did come with a baguette, which we forgot to tell them we didn't need, so we just had to stare at the bread while we ate our soup with nothing to dunk in it.  It was difficult. We almost faltered, but we didn't eat the bread!

All in all, I'm pretty proud of us this week.  It's been a real eye-opener to realize how much I eat starch on a daily basis and I've even lost a few pounds this week. I won't tell you how much, though, because I'm afraid they might come back. The Beetlejuice Effect and all... (I first tried to write Betelgeuse, but then realized thats the star, not the movie. I guess I'm just too darn sophisticated for such base movie choices)

In other astronomy news: If you are a human in North America, you too can view the Transit of Venus across the sun on (this!) Tuesday the 5th! It should happen around sunset, but I haven't figured out an approximate time yet.  If you do, make sure you use some kind of eclipse glasses or pinhole configuration so you do not stare directly at the sun. Apparently this will only happen once in our lifetimes? Jason discovered it in an astronomy book yesterday at Barnes n Noble, and a google search confirmed it! Go forth and view Venus crossing the sun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment