Friday, July 22, 2011

First Week: Conquered

I survived my first week!!! All in all it went fairly well. Yesterday and today probably went the best because I had stuff to do.  I got to help with confirmation calls, which was new, and I just basically reminded everyone on the list that they had an appointment on Monday.  Interestingly, one of the ladies I called happened to be on a treadmill at the time.  That is what I call dedication.  I also got to cut paper today. A whole giant stack of "really really expensive paper" that they print their prescriptions on.  Basically they were being charged double per sheet of paper for the paper company to cut it in half for them, so now they do it themselves.... now i do it myself? I don't know if that will be a permanent type of activity.  I learned how to do vitals today so I can help out with them on Monday.  But apparently I will help Monday and Monday only because the gentleman who is supposed to be training me but is on vacation will be back Tuesday and all will be well with the world at last.  I've been told again and again "I'm sorry this week is so slow and boring. It will get a LOT busier next week" to which I say "bring it on!!!" For once, I would like enough to do that I can stay until the end of the day and actually earn my paycheck.  I just get things done too quickly, I guess?

So one of the interesting things that a couple people keep asking me is "Have you figured things out yet? Have you figured out who's nice yet?" And I know exactly who they are talking about.  There is an interesting dynamic between the different offices.  Where I work is not in the same place my boss works, so I am Switzerland, a drifter, autonomous.  But the two sets of office people get quite.... territorial.   And my buddy in the third building likes to give me handy tips regarding the war. Such as "don't take sides."  There happen to be days that food is catered in for us.  Most of the time these free meals are for everyone in all three buildings.  However, it seems to be that when the food is delivered... no one spreads the word. So it takes a spy on a recon mission to let the other buildings know there's food.  Then the whole other building comes traipsing in to eat and triumphantly smirks to themselves.  (Apparently, one way to tell I'm new is that I don't fall on the food like a starving hyena) But my war strategy is to remain Switzerland and listen patiently when told how obnoxious the other building is.  My opinions will remain my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment