Friday, July 15, 2011

The Back Story

Once upon a time (being last year) I was at UCF in my Senior year, beginning to look into jobs and housing over in Gainesville.  Craigslist was my best bet, so I searched and searched and weeded out the creepy "female dancers needed" and "want to make money FAST????" from the reliable looking "servers needed" but the problem I discovered at every turn was summed up in three simple words: "previous experience required." I always applied anyway. I sent dozens upon dozens of resumes to various businesses and never once did I receive a response. As the months flew by, I was feeling more and more concerned and desperate.

Meanwhile, I was also searching for an apartment. I knew that I had a specific window of time in which to find the best deals, but time kept slipping away from me.  An apartment would either be way too expensive and perfect, affordable but in a scary part of town and without a washer and dryer, or require that I have a roommate to afford it.  So I put ads on Craigslist for a female roommate. I answered other people's ads, but everyone already seemed to be set and wonderful.  And as the months flew by, I was feeling more and more concerned and desperate.

I brought it up all the time at the Bible study we had in our apartment - please pray that I can find a job and a place to live.  please please please make it work out somehow.  I asked other girls in my Christian sorority to pray about it.  One day, my sweet friend Kati relayed the message that her mom suggested I contact a certain psychiatrist in Gainesville because they had known him for many years.  I thought it couldn't hurt, so I emailed and asked if they had any open positions or could refer me to anyone who needed someone.  They wrote back and offered me a job!  When I went later for an interview, it was more to discuss WHICH position I wanted to take instead of if they wanted to hire me.  I had asked God to lead me to the place he wanted me in Gainesville and he shut down all of my efforts to find something for myself and pretty much handed it to me on a silver platter.  I was so excited to have a job!! The only problem was a place to live....

Mom kept telling me to contact the churches nearby and see if anyone needed a roommate but whined and complained and didn't want to do it. So, being a good mom, she did it for me and was right as usual.  The college minister contacted her back saying everyone in the college group had roommates and were all set.... except for one girl with a 2/2 townhouse who needed a roommate.  Hallelujah!!! So I contacted her and she was super sweet! I had a job and a place to live!!

1 comment: