Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spring Fever Without the Break

This is my second year without a Spring Break.  For the vast percentage of my life, I've had a spring break every year.  Let me tell you, it is WEIRD that first year when you don't get one and you have to go to work every morning and watch all the other kids getting a spring break and going home and relaxing and reading 18 books and dipping their toes in the water at the beach. 

(Wait... most kids don't read 18 books on their spring break?   Well, let's just say I promise I traveled more on my spring breaks than they did. And to better places. And, honestly, with better company.)

Anyway,  it's not really as bad for me this year as I don't have a typical 9-5 job at the moment. I get to play with and get beat up by the cutest one year old currently on the planet.  (Side note: I cannot and will not believe he's already one.  It's not happening. He's still the tiny, squishy, sleepy little baby I first met last July.... He can just pull up on furniture and is trying to speak now... that's all... right?)  So, even if I don't get the recommended daily allotment of sleep, I still have it pretty good.  I mean, I wear makeup maybe twice a week. 

My question is, at what point does it stop being weird not to have a Spring Break?  (For all of ya'll who AREN'T teachers, ya butts.) Is it something you eventually get used to and then don't care about anymore? Or is it something you still long for deep in your heart every year as winter draws to a close?  There's something to be said for transitions.  Spring break has always been that for me. Winter is officially over and Spring is officially here, regardless of what the weather does.  Let me know what you think! Maybe I'll have to plan my own "spring break" every year and save up my time off. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think because I worked through pretty much all my spring breaks that that particular transition didn't really bother me much. I think the one time I actually went home (or anywhere for that matter), Felicia and I went home to do laundry. I was wild like that.

    For me the biggest thing was no summer break. You grow up having a summer break. You work hard all year long and then you get a few months to relax and chill. And then you graduate. And get a job. And then you never get a break. Ever ever again. And, if you're unsmart like me, you get a job in retail and then your days run together and time seems endless. *sigh* Now I've depressed myself. I should just go back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Summer break was harder for me to get over than spring break. I enjoyed my spring breaks, and I too read 18 books, but I never missed them much after they were gone. It took me FOREVER to get used to no summer break though.

    ReplyDelete