Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Sturdy Kind That Doesn't Mind the Snow!!!!

So for those of you who know me, you know I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY ADORE CHRISTMAS. Well, since Pinterest is a magical wonderland of all things awesome and frightening, I am having Christmas-in-August Syndrome. The Holidays and Events category is my favorite place to hang out and one of my favorite boards to review and see all of my wonderful pin ideas that I will probably never utilize and/or make but tell myself that I will. (Frightening due to the large numbers of spider related Hallowing things, and creepy fake dead things) Ahh Pinterest. How do I love thee, let me pin the ways....

Anyway, back to Christmas-in-August.  Do you wonder if you have contracted this particular affliction? If so, darling, I am here to help.  Please note if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, particularly in the month of August:

  • You sing your favorite Christmas songs to the baby for whom you nanny to instill in him the Christmas Spirit.  (Oh, is that just me?)
  • You methodically go through your iTunes Christmas playlist perfecting the mix of Christmas songs to highlight the cheer and wonder and awesomeness of Christmas. (Note: It's a Spike Jones Christmas, John Denver and the Muppets' A Christmas Together, Martina McBride's White Christmas, and Celene Dion's These are the Special Times are the Christmas soundtracks of my life)
  • You make a mental list of all of your favorite Christmas movies and have to stop yourself from watching all of them all the time. (6 different versions of A Christmas Carol? Thank you, Mom for that passion)
  • You pin multiple Christmas-themed wreaths. WHO NEEDS THAT MANY WREATHS?! But really, I'm going to put a wreath on every door. 
  • You plan out Christmas traditions for when you someday one day have a family and can make your own traditions. 
  • You have dreams about being in Christmas programs. (True story. Except the song we sang was called "Forever" and it was about Japanese business transactions. Whaaaaat????) 
  • You daydream of snow and snuggling into blankets and sweaters and drinking hot cocoa and cider.
  • You do an Amazon search for Uggs, which you have been ardently against your entire life.  
  • You can't even possibly wait to start wrapping and bowing presents. 
What is that? What is that you say? You don't have any of those symptoms? You don't suffer from Christmas-in-August like I do?  Well you obviously don't honor Christmas in your heart and try to keep it all the year. (Name that book/movie)  You might have Grinch-itis. I would prescribe 1 cup of hot cocoa with at least 8 mini marshmellows and 2 mugs of apple cider (with Aspen Mulling Spices, of course. Trust me on this one. It'll be the best cider you've ever had in your life).

Merry Christmas-in-August to all, and to all a good night!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Aubrey, and I too suffer from Christmas-in-August syndrome. I have already started planning what cookies I (we) will be making. I'm pinning Christmas crafts left and right (darn you, Pinterest!). I already have Christmas jammies for my son. Several pairs. I am mentally decorating my home. Is there a treatment plan??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, start the Christmas celebrations now and go til Halloween! We can take a brief break to Trick or Treat and then eat lots of turkey on Thanksgiving, then it's right back to Christmas again! Oh, and the tree stays up til mid-February or it wouldn't be tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO grateful you are not ruined by my panic attacks at Christmas time. Amazon has alleviated this for the most part and I only feel a twinge of deadline pressure. I too used to LOVE Christmas and decorate and play music and make cookies and drink of the beloved cider. Then for whatever reason, Christmas became more of a race against the clock and the panic began. I find it all more fun these last few years and praise God for every opportunity we have to be together as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Ashley & I suffer from Christmas-in-August syndrome. I have recently been found singing my favorite Chrismtas jams and just ordered Christmas cards last week. Also, my motivation for completing the unpacking process in our place is so I can appropriately decorate every.single.room with Christmas decor. I also plan to use Christmas cookie cutters to make cutely shaped pancakes....this week (thanks, Pinterest).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sad that my husband never suffers from any sort of Christmas anything, except for Grinch-itis. Please, all, say a prayer for his pour, wilted, grouchy, smelly, Christmasless soul.

    ReplyDelete