Saturday, August 27, 2011

Now for something SWEET!

The other night, I decided to try my hand at a new baking craze - cake balls.  They are the cutest things in the world and (as far as I know) made famous by Bakerella.  She's incredibly talented and creative. I'd suggest checking out her website, www.bakerella.com.

So I made up my mind to have a fun night of baking (cause I totally bake..... or know what I'm doing) so as a result, this story is a comedy of errors.

I began with Funfetti cake batter and as I started mixing all of my ingredients together, I realized that I somehow did not have ANY eggs at all.... which meant I had to leave my half-mixed batter hangin around while I madly ran to the store in my pajamas to get a carton of eggs.  When I got back, I gleefully finished mixing my batter and poured it out into my cupcake pans. It seemed however, that I had a little too much batter...


I discovered it wasn't that I had too much batter.... I just put DOUBLE the amount in each cupcake! Super tall cupcakes! However, they were still cooked all the way through and pretty delicious. (warm cake is anyway)

Now, if you know anything about cake balls you may ask why on earth I made cupcakes instead of just a sheet cake. Well..... I didn't have a cake pan.

So the next step in making cake balls is to crumble up the cake until it's fine and mix in icing or a cream cheese mixture.  This time I chose cream cheese icing. Seemed like the best combination to me. :)
Next I had Jason help me roll up the mixture onto a tray so we could freeze them before dunking them.  They were sticky sticky sticky!!
They remind me of sausage cheese balls.... mmmmm.... maybe I'll save my baking prowess for those.

After they froze for what seemed like an appropriate amount of time, I dunked them in white vanilla candy melts or dark cocoa candy melts (an incredibly messy process which was not captured in pictures). They looked great!!!!

I made a hellacious mess all over my kitchen slinging that melted candy.  Finally, it was time for a taste test of my little beauties! The verdict? HORRIBLE. They were insanely sweet. Way Way too sweet.  The funfetti with the cream cheese icing with the vanilla candy melts? ugh. I threw them all out. But, it was a fun process and I look forward to learning from my mistakes and making ones that are actually delicious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment